Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The world of the not so typical

I was thinking about the reality that I use to write a lot of poetry, but I don't anymore. It struck me, that my writing was at it's peak when I was in the military and I was depressed. So why do I not write anymore? I do write, just not poetry. Could it be just because I'm older, have a family, and different priorities? I'm sure those are factors, but I would also contend that some of our best work comes from a time and place where we are not so typical. Let me explain my use of the word typical. This is a word we use often in the world of autism, to differentiate those with differences and those society considers "normal". Please don't harp on me about my use of "politically correct" terminology. I do this intentionally, because it is both used regularly in my field, and because it is more courteous then using some of the more disparaging words used to describe people with "differences" or "exceptionalities." While this may offend some or seem unimportant, it is my way of drawing a distinction between what some view as a problem and what others view as a difference. This distinction is very important because we too often assume that people with these differences are riddled with problems, or that they are defined by their disability or disorder. However, it is my belief that these things should not define a person, are not always problems, and are only a part of their total person. While none of us wants to be defined as our weakness or called our weakness, neither should we do that to others. Now, in the world of autism we use the word typical or neurotypical, to describe those without a neural disorder. The thinking here is that all too often things like autism or ADHD are considered a problem or a disability when some people do not feel they are a problem and/or do not consider it a disability. In fact, some traits that can come from ADHD and autism, are good or even "exceptional."










Back to my original point. Some of our best work comes from a time and place where we are not so typical. In my everyday, normal, humdrum life, I don't concern myself so much with writing down my deepest darkest thoughts. I go through day after day, worrying more about everyday events that probably aren't so very important. In fact, sometimes I may even go search out more interesting important topics to fill my need to feel involved, and to think and ponder matters of real importance. It is when things get tough, when my world isn't so typical that my need to create, and 'get out all the thoughts in my head' seems to really flourish. I suspect it is this way with many people. Do we do our best work when we are under pressure? I really think we see things differently and think differently when we are in the trenches, when the muck of life is really bearing down. Tragedy, depression, hardship, mental problems, and all those other things that can turn and alter our lives and our being seem to have a way of .... kicking us when we're down. Yet, sometimes such astonishing beauty, and amazing creation can come from the darkest times and places in our lives. Maybe it is a coping mechanism, maybe it's our way of really looking deep into the mess, while still feeling somewhat detached from it. I'm not sure, but I do think we create more, and create better when life isn't so normal, so typical. I don't miss it, or want it back, quite the contrary, but I do acknowledge that our darkest hours can produce the most amazing things. I would think that the key is, to find a way out of those places, before you drowned in misery and can't escape. Maybe if you're lucky, you can get back to the boring, humdrum, normal, typical life. Maybe not. Even so, if you can get yourself up from those dark times, pull yourself up with some help, dust yourself off, and not get lost forever, sucked into those terrible places, then all the better for you and the world. It's just too bad we lose some, who get lost and can't make their way out. That really sucks, yet it happens all to often.

Now enough of me talking such depressing stuff! It's time for me to be happy, at my wonderfully boring normal life. Though I will always be thankful, in some strange sort of way, for those dark times, but mostly for being able to escape.


2 comments:

  1. So, this is a rant/post about your life not being hard enough at the moment? I would think that would be a good thing. I understand your point, but some of us work better with a clear head, not worrying about those other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not saying we don't work better that way, but I am saying that maybe we have more to get out when things are not good. There are some things that seem to increase when tragedy strikes. We try to connect more, help each-other out more, communicate more, and support each-other more. Some believe that a little stress actually increases productivity. I'm sure it's an issue of moderation in most cases. However, I think when things are tough we try to cope by putting ourselves into something and keeping occupied, we also try to find an outlet to channel our negative energy into something more positive. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete